To migrate your WordPress site to AWS Lightsail, you can follow these steps:
Step 1: Launch an AWS Lightsail instance
- Sign in to the AWS Lightsail console at https://lightsail.aws.amazon.com/.
- Click on «Create instance» and choose the WordPress blueprint.
- Configure your instance settings, such as instance size and location.
- Launch the instance.
Step 2: Connect to your new Lightsail instance
- Once the instance is running, connect to it using SSH. You can use the browser-based SSH client provided by Lightsail.
Step 3: Prepare the source WordPress site
- Make a backup of your existing WordPress site’s files and database. This can be done using a plugin like UpdraftPlus, or manually by exporting the database and copying the files to your local machine.
Step 4: Transfer the site files to the Lightsail instance
- In the SSH terminal of the Lightsail instance, navigate to the web root directory: cd /var/www/html/
- Copy the files from your local machine to the Lightsail instance using a secure file transfer method like SCP or SFTP.
Step 5: Set up the WordPress database on Lightsail
- In the SSH terminal, log in to the MySQL command-line interface:
mysql -u root -p
- Create a new empty database for your WordPress site:
CREATE DATABASE your_database_name;
- Create a new MySQL user and grant privileges to the database:
CREATE USER 'your_user_name'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'your_password';
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON your_database_name.* TO 'your_user_name'@'localhost'; FLUSH PRIVILEGES; EXIT;
Step 6: Update the WordPress configuration
- In the SSH terminal, navigate to the WordPress installation directory: cd /var/www/html/
- Rename the existing wp-config.php file to create a backup: mv wp-config.php wp-config.php.backup
- Create a new wp-config.php file and update it with the database connection details for the Lightsail instance.
Step 7: Update DNS settings (if necessary)
- If you are migrating the domain name as well, update the DNS settings to point to the Lightsail instance’s public IP address or assign a static IP to the instance.
Step 8: Test the migrated WordPress site
- Access the WordPress site through a web browser using the Lightsail instance’s public IP address or domain name.
- Verify that the site is functioning correctly and test various functionalities.
By following these steps, you can successfully migrate your WordPress site to AWS Lightsail. Remember to update any necessary settings or configurations specific to your site, such as plugin configurations or custom themes, to ensure everything functions properly in the new environment.